Chair: Ray Harris
External Affairs is PSI’s newest committee. Our remit is to promote, amongst members of the pharmaceutical industry and the general public, a proper understanding of risks, benefits and associated statistical issues as they relate to pharmaceutical research, development, manufacturing and marketing.
This will be achieved by:
- A programme of interactions with the media, including the submission of letters and articles to learned and lay press and other media outlets.
- A programme of activities designed to highlight to the pharmaceutical industry (e.g., companies and professional bodies) the importance of statistics and appropriate statistical methods.
- A programme of activities designed to highlight to people and bodies of influence (e.g., political organisations and politicians, regulatory bodies) the importance of statistics and appropriate statistical methods.
- Responding to requests for a PSI perspective on relevant statistical matters.
- Responding to emerging statistical issues of public and/or industry significance with written or oral submissions.
- Promoting interaction between PSI and its members and the media for example, by encouraging journalists to attend and participate in PSI events; by encouraging PSI committees to hold events that will attract journalists and interest the audiences they serve.